Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49

Thread: 904-8a conversion???

  1. #21
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 904-8a conversion???

    Hey GM,

    It's the cheap stuff, particle board, used for flooring etc, $8.00 a 4x8 sheet... doesn't look too pretty, but I can hardly tolerate the dust that mdf throws out even with my dust collection system hooked up to my table saw. Built cabs out of mdf about 4 years ago, and swore I would not touch the crap ever again......

    Figured that the osb would kinda ~get me there and hold me off till I make sure I have every thing down.....tuning, xo's and etc.. dialed in. I saw one guy build a bib out of the stuff years ago, I did not hear the result, but form what I read, folks said it wasn't too shabby, and isn't as messy as mdf...


    I will drop Jay a line and see if he can find his drawings,,,,he sent me a rendered pic, but I am not sure of the dims........



    Later,


    -chris

  2. #22
    Senior Hostboard Member westend9's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    296
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 904-8a conversion???

    Quote Originally Posted by oface1 View Post
    GM,

    I lied the ply they are selling me comes from redwoods? and it is $89 a sheet.

    I am gonna mock up with some 3/4" osb.... Just to see where i need to go.

    would rather work out the kinks with the cheap stuff than mess up with the expensive stuff..

    GM, would happen to have those plans and dims for the mltl you helped out jay with???


    I will check to see what Allied has and see how much it might be and try to haggle my local Lowes here... worth a try.......


    Thanks,....



    -chris
    Don't know what you have down there but up here I've found that it is easier and sometimes, cheaper, to deal with my local specialty lumber distributors. In this area that is these guys:http://www.youngbloodlumber.com/hardwoodplywood.html . I have contractor service accounts at all the big-box stores and they are just a PIA for special orders. I wish I had a 604 for every door that has been returned.

  3. #23
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: 904-8a conversion???

    Quote Originally Posted by oface1 View Post
    Hey GM,

    It's the cheap stuff, particle board, used for flooring etc, $8.00 a 4x8 sheet...
    I meant the $89 plywood. FWIW, I was an early adopter of OSB, I used it for my kitchen extension roof decking when it was finally approved in '84. I still have the original brochure showing suggested interior decorating uses along with simple DIY furniture projects to try and get folks to accept it in home construction, and yes, I did make some tower (MLTL) speakers with inexpensive 'RadioShaque' car audio drivers out of scrap. The material is just lossy enough for damping high Q drivers.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  4. #24
    Inactive Member eisbär's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 9th, 2006
    Posts
    39
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 904-8a conversion???

    Quote Originally Posted by oface1 View Post
    Hey eisbaor (sp?),

    That is not to bad of a deal..$370/pr? That could not had been with shipping too? ...and that is what I was planning if they have "issues".

    GM, I noticed in an old post you talked about getting marine grade or void free ply at H.D.. You happen to know who makes it or the SKU? I have a lead at Lowe's right here by my house, but when I inquire who makes it they do not know, makes me wonder if it even is marine grade, or they just shootin' me a line to get me out of there. I asked a pro-desk person, and they gave me a sku of 113-256 @ $63.00 a (4x8, 3/4")sheet.

    Just wondering how your experience has been with the big box stores.....

    Thanks,,,,,
    -chris
    Hi Chris,
    don't mind the spelling. My username got mixed up a bit when the new forum was established. I'm gonna have to ask for a new one ...

    After having a closer look at my invoice to my surprise there are 58 US$ shipping costs included. Actually overseas transport was much costlier. You may substitute this amount by a VAT you may have to pay in the US.

    Unfortunately I can't give you any recommendations for the ply. This was not me who had the void free one. To be honest: I never saw anything like this before here in Germany. I do a lot of woodwork but all the ply I bought up to now had some issues. However, it may exist for special applications e.g. armour wood.

    My own journey with the Duplexes is a very long one and full of struggles. I started with a pair of 604E in a chipboard 620 clone - quick and dirty work. Unsurprisingly they didn't pass the WAF and had to go. Eventually I sold the E's but in 2007 I could buy my pair of 904/604. Last year I hooked them up. At first in a OB configuration - just to be able to listen again. To my surprise an OB setup definitely has it's merits. Of course there is a severe lack of bass. Not much happening below 100-80 hz. But the rest is very, very nice. It still sounds balanced somehow. But you should keep a distance of at least 1 m to the rear wall. Of course it works not with every kind of music. But it does very well with jazz and a lot of classical tunes.

    So you may just want to change the diaphragms and invest the money saved (150-170 US$ just can't separate the hourly fee) in a sub. That's the way I decided for. Of course it's more expensive than changing the cones.

    6048kobfr4th

    I wish you good success for your project
    Ralph

  5. #25
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 904-8a conversion???

    Well I try this again,

    Went to the rehab store to day and looked at solid core doors for cheap. They were anywhere from $25-$40/each. Doesn't seem to bad of an idea, and I get to recycle materials that would likely get thrown into the dump.. Went around knocking anf thumping of doors, seemed to find a few that were solid through, but most seem to be solid around the edges and parts in the middle. Did not pick any up, will consider it though, anyone considered using these as materials?

    Also went I got back , received my GPA N1600-8A XO's from an AA member for $100+$14 shipping/pair. Packed pretty well.They were not used, only opened and inspected and were packaged back up and others were built for a certain MLTL that was built and talked about quite a bit. They arrived today a bit busted up, with a broken cap lead here, most of the inductors had come loose from the boards, with a lead or 2 coming clean off. Also a resistor was busted clean off. All can be repaired, and I will so so tonight or when I get a replacement for C3.

    If I need to send pics I will< btw, what kind of glue or expoxy should I use or was used in holding the inductors wire in place on the spool and in place on the board?

    I just hope this isn't a precursor to what to expect for when my 604's are delivered. Gonna have to go and burn a voodoo doll or 2 , to get this hex off of me....hehee...


    Oh well, will keep ya updated.......Oh yeah,, Just saw the 604 III on the GPA site too.....

    I tired the OB route, but that was before kids. Now, I have kids 1.5-6 yrs old crawling and running through out the house. The older ones know not touch daddy's stuff, but they youngest is just catching on. I thought they sounded cool, but I am gonna run with the 8-9' cabs now.



    Later,


    -chris

  6. #26
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 904-8a conversion???

    Quote Originally Posted by oface1 View Post
    .......Went to the rehab store to day and looked at solid core doors for cheap....... anyone considered using these as materials?........ I am gonna run with the 8-9' cabs now.
    I guess I missed it...... I can't find any mention of solid core doors in this thread except your post. Are you contemplating building enclosures out of old doors? My first thought was open baffles made from doors, but I see you sort of ruled that out due to the little ones.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  7. #27
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: 904-8a conversion???

    The only solid core doors I'm aware of that are truly solid are very expensive commercial UL approved units, so not likely to wind up for sale to the general public as contractors would get first choice at any used ones.

    Nowadays, DIYers usually use hot glue to mount XO components.

    Bummer about the busted XOs, seems like it wouldn't be hard to bubble wrap them sufficiently.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  8. #28
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 904-8a conversion???

    Yep A_b_G,

    OB's are out. Maybe when they get older,or when I move and get a house with a dedicated room, (which this on and one, till my 3rd came around, lol) will I try the OB route again.

    Yes, I am considering the idea of using old solid doors if I can find any.I am sure there are other home salvage places that will have what I am looking for. I guess I will still have to worry about the wood shifting though wouldn't I? I live in teh deep-humid south here in S.C., so this idea might be out. But old doors should be seasoned after 20+ years, right?

    GM, some of the doors I saw were like the ones you see in office buildings, they seemed pretty solid, but I think I saw only 1 or 2. I am thinking, since when I was rapping the doors , these had the solid tone, like stud hunting w/o the detector.

    With the XO issue, I called Bill @ GPA, he told me they have the XO's made and he didn't have the replacement cab (C3) which was 14uf. He and I looked up the parts express catalog and could only find a 15uf. He said it wouldn't be too big of problem. So I am gonna find some caps and put a order in for that. Also told me that any RTV would be good for attaching the inductors on the xo board.

    Does anyone know where I could find the 14uf Bosun caps or does it really matter?

    Thanks in advance,

    -chris

  9. #29
    Senior Hostboard Member
    904-8a conversion???


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 904-8a conversion???

    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  10. #30
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 904-8a conversion???

    Hey OG,

    Called Angelo and he said they do not carry that vaule anymore, gonna run with some 15uf's outta Parts Express.

    Not sure to go with the 1% 250V Dayton's $10/ea, 5% 400V Solen's $8/ea, or the Jantzen's $6/ea.

    I mean, I have read about "some" people being able to hear differences in brands of caps, but can you really hear tolerances?


    Later,

    -chris

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.